Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Readiness - #BlogElul 26

Are you ready? Are you ready for this? Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?

The members of the classic rock band Queen were not thinking about spiritual preparation when they wrote their 1980 hit single "Another One Bites the Dust." It is a song of cruel revenge, of revelling in bullets ripping through the air to punish an unfaithful lover, or maybe it is really an ode to marijuana if you play it backwards ... definitely not about preparing for the High Holy Days.

And yet, when I saw the theme for today, this song started buzzing through my head. Maybe it's because I was a teenager when it came out, and it is part of the soundtrack of my youth. In any case, if you take the words above at face value, ignoring what comes after, it can be a very good question to ask a few days before Rosh HaShanah.

After so many reflections during the month of Elul, so much preparation, planning, menus and music, I'm definitely hanging on the edge of my seat. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Please join the conversation.